We set up virtual users for our projects so that when a new case is raised, everyone who is on the virtual user list gets an email. So the whole team gets notification of a new item, or if something assigned back to ‘the pool’, or a comment made on such an unowned item, etc.
E.g. Primary contact for project NewTech is a virtual user called ‘New Tech Team’, which is defined as:Tech Team’, setup as:
However, there are a couple of problems with setting up virtual users:
- We have to use the full email addresses (even of users who are in the system). This is a pain.
- There is limited number of characters (255?), so we have quite a small number of @mycompanyltd.com that can fit.
The second item is our real problem currently, but is exacerbated by the first problem, as each person takes many more characters than needed.
At the moment we have to revert to setting up a mailing list on our Exchange server, and pointing the virtual user at that. But this adds an extra level of indirection to managing project notifications that we would rather do without.
So my feature request would be :
- Remove the 256 character limit on the virtual user field.
- Change the UI on setting up a virtual user so you can select FB users directly.
- Allow the primary contact of a project (or any of the areas) to be a Group in Fogbugz. This would give us great flexibility in managing email notifications.